Monday, September 26, 2011

Watch Me Grow - Jackson - 12 Month

Jackson 1 year - 12 September 2011
Watch out World, here I come!!!
11 Month - 12 August 20116 Month - 16 March 20111 Week - 17 September 2011 My little J-Man turned 1 on Saturday, September 10! We had his official birthday party Labor Day weekend with lots of family and friends. Thank you so much to everyone who traveled to be with us for Jackson's birthday! Our family spent Jackson's actual birthday with Grammy, Grand-Dad, Uncle Dan, Aunt Dorothy, Heidi and Holden at Bi-Water farms in Georgetown. We had a great time and ended the day with a birthday party the Hamlin's hosted at their home for Jackson including all the people listed above. It was a great 1st birthday!

Jackson took his first 2 steps (literally 2 steps) two weeks before his birthday. We thought it would only be a matter of time until he really took off after that but instead he is still not walking (at all - literally not 1 additional step has been taken) a month later. As a matter of fact we has earned the knick name "lazy legs." He loves to free stand and gets so excited doing it he looks like he's dancing. It is so super cute! But he will not make any effort to take a step. If you try holding his hand and getting him to take a step forward he either sits down, bends his knees, or just picks up his legs. What a little goof ball!

As of his birthday Jackson had two teeth on top and two on the bottom with another two coming in on the top. He is a slow teether just like his sisters.

He is such a sweet and funny baby but this boy has such a temper too. He is either extremely happy or extremely mad and there's not a whole lot in between. I'm beginning to be a bit afraid that his disposition is going to be more like his oldest sister's. Where do my kids get there extreme tempers from??? Heaven help us please! I'm going to do my best to enjoy these next 6 months because it was about 18 months when Reagan really started to rachet up... Maybe we'll be more effective in dealing with temper tantrums the second time around? Here's to hoping we've learned a thing or two which Jackson will benefit from! :)

Jackson loves to read! One morning when I got out of the shower I discovered Jackson and Reagan had woken up and were reading books together. They were so sweet together! I left them alone and later I counted 7 books she had read and put in his crib for him. I think he would have kept going but she decided she wanted to play with her dollhouse.

Jackson insists on reading before he goes to sleep (nap or bedtime) and will happily sit and read any other time of day. One day I got lunch going late and he was literally falling asleep at the table. Because of that I scooped him up and took him upstairs thinking I could just lay him down for a nap. He threw such a fit and I couldn't figure out what was going on given how tired he had been downstairs. It was only that evening that it occurred to me he was furious because we hadn't followed his routine and read books before I put him in the crib. That is exactly what Reagan would have done too...

As far as sleeping goes Jackson is awesome! He sleeps 11-12 hours at night and takes a 2-3 hour afternoon nap. His natural inclination might be to still take two shorter daytime naps but with his big sister's schedules and activities it's easier for me to plan around one longer nap. He does such a great job of accomodating us and all our craziness! He is such a happy little camper as he gets toted here there and everywhere waiting for his sisters.

Putting Jackson down for his nap is one of my favorite times of days. He gets so excited about his books and after we read he almost always lets me rock him to sleep. While we read at night (which I love too) it's a toss up whether he'll let me rock him to sleep or if he wants to be laid down in his crib. It is so relaxing to rock him to sleep and then hold my sweet baby for a little while. I get the girls going on a couple of activities and they are very good at being quite while I get him down for his nap. It is such a precious time of day when I get to spend 20-30 special minutes with my little guy all by himself. I sure love him a lot and no matter how stressful a morning I might have had I can feel all my stress dissipating as I sit and rock him!

When changing Jackson's diaper I am frequently reminded of Uncle Martin's description of changing Amber (I think it was Amber but maybe it was challenging toddlers in general). In anycase this is the perfect way to describe changing his diaper - it's something like trying to change a cross between an octopus and a bed spring. He thinks he is hilarious when you let him get a way and he zooms across the room where he turns around and giggles at you.

Jackson's favorite person in the world is Grammy. The girls have always loved Grammy but Jackson LOVES Grammy. If she is the room, he won't have a thing to do with anyone else holding him. If he doesn't want you to hold him, he doesn't just turn away either, he flaps his hand/arm at you violently to push you away. He's also pretty jealous about the girls being in someone's lap when he wants to be. He is a funny little dude with definite ideas about the way his world should be!

I wrote all of this several weeks ago and just never got Jackson's 1 year duck picture downloaded to complete the post. That said, I want to add a few more comments on Jackson's progress since his 1st birthday - can't believe that was already a month ago! As I mentioned above, Jackson has quite the temper. This baby has his scowl down. It is hilarious! I need to catch it on film because it is so darn cute. That said, we seriously shouldn't be laughing at it and encouraging his attitude and/or temper. I know it's bad he's just so darn cute!

Another thing I don't believe I remembered to comment on above is Jackson's continued love for music. I don't know if it's because of the increased exposure to music each of our children has had or if it's just a natural tendancy towards it but I think Jackson may be our most musical child. When practicing new songs with the girls we use hand signs to designate the notes they will be playing on the violin. Jackson has started immitating those signs and keeping the beat while we practice. Again I so need to get this on film because it is so far past cute (and a little bit amazing too!).

Jackson is very indpendent and quite determined to do everything his big sisters are doing. He virtually refused to eat baby food and wanted to go straight to table food. If it's on your plate, then it should be on his! He is desperate to be right in the middle of any and every activity anyone around him is doing. He will write on his paper while the girls are doing their school work or participate in any art activity they are doing. Basically anything I'm up for trying he's willing to try as well (well, he's probably up for trying more than I'm willing to try...). In the last month (since his first birthday) he has also decided he does not want to have an independent storytime at night but has to have it with the girls. Jackson screams bloody murder if you try to read to him in his room or if you try and take him away from their room before you've read stories, said prayers and turned off the lights. He wants to be sure everyone is going to bed and he's not going to miss one minute of any fun that might be occurring. Again, this little boy knows exactly how he wants his world to be!

I love, love, love my sweet Mr. Jackson!!! I can't imagine having a more precious baby for a son! We all love him dearly and he keeps us laughing and entertained! Whatever else he is, he is most certainly not lacking for personality and I can't wait to see how he continues to mature and grow!

1 comment:

  1. Well, Jackson's Grammy absolutely adores him (and his sisters), too! I can't imagine not getting to see them all the time and watch them grow up! And you are such an amazing Mommy, Anna. I am in awe of all you do with my wonderful and precious grandchildren! I am so thankful that my grandkids have such terrific parents and are so loved! Can't wait to see you next weekend! xoxoxo Grammy

    ReplyDelete