Sunday, January 29, 2012

Miscellaneous December Pictures

Here are some random pictures that didn't really seem to require a post of their own but which I still wished to include in our December posts. This first picture is an art project Grammy and I managed to accomplish with the kids one weekend in December using the kid's feet, hands and thumbprints (for the red noses). I must say this type of project is remarkably easier with another adult on hand! lol :) It also helped that Jackson has apparently decided it's fun to have paint on his hands and wants to do what the big girls are doing vs acting like we're skinning him alive. I love handprint projects in general and I especially loved this one because it captured all three kids and both hands and feet. This project came about as a mix of inspiration from one of the teachers in Grammy's school and something I saw on Pinterest. Thanks so much for all the assistance Grammy! :)The girls love to climb this tree. It is such a good tree to climb with so many branches for them to easily step to and from. Meanwhile, Jackson hasn't quite mastered trees yet so he's pretty content to stick to the swingset. Especially now that he has figured out he can swing on the glider and the big girls swing (vs the baby one which straps him in).The first weekend in December the girls had their last group violin class of the semester. It was a special Christmas group class where all the kids were able to play Christmas carol solos. It was more informal than a recital but a lot of fun especially with everyone playing together. I apparently didn't take many pictures and instead mostly video. Unfortunately I didn't do a good job with the video so I don't think it's worth including here. Rest assurred Reagan was in attendance as well! :)The girls have become quite the little bakers. They are ready to be of assistance anytime I can find something for them to do, especially Kennedy. After we came back from Tennessee we spent a day baking up a storm of Christmas treats to enjoy with everyone. We made Great Grammy's (Lueker) Chocolate and Lemon Cake cookies. Then upon the recommendations of Ms. Debbie, we did a twist on the Cake cookies and made Butter Pecan with chopped Pecans. These turned out very well and we'll be doing some more experimenting in the future. Thanks so much for the suggestion! We also made Aunt Joan's spiced pecans. Super yummy!!! I have eaten hers before but never made my own. They were so good and we'll be doing this again as well! We also made Pecan Log Rolls which I love! I always remember Aunt Pat making these for us in Wisconsin and they were such a treat! They're tricky (mostly incredibly messy) to make so it's one thing that truly was a treat to have because there wasn't ever enough to go around. So so so so so good! This was the one thing I don't think I had the girls help me with just because it's already a disaster waiting to happen. This year I discovered, upon Grammy's suggestion, the caramel wraps for making caramel apples makes this process considerably easier! Last but not least, we baked a favorite around here which is the Peanut Butter Cup cookies. The girls are able to probably help the most with these since it's pretty easy to roll up peanut butter dough, easy to unwrap the candy and easy to press the candy into the dough when they come out of the oven (although the last step does require care...). Besides this, we also made Swedish Meatballs and Sausage balls. It was a busy cooking day! Additionally, Grammy brought her awesome sugar cookies, turtles, mint surprise cookies, chocolate fudge, and peanut butter fudge from Tennessee. Rest assurred we did not starve here over Christmas and we were certainly not lacking by way of sweets! Thank you to my little bakers, Reagan and Missy K! As they'll happily tell you after they're done cooking they add their love to the ingredients and that's why it's so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.